Sign up for the Get R.E.A.L. Newsletter





Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I'm Not Taking My Own Advice

I admit it. I am not good about taking my own advice. As the owner of a PR business for creative types and "kitchen table entrepreneurs", I extol the virtues of social media with my clients. From blogging and Facebook to LinkedIn and Internet radio, there are unlimited channels in which to unleash your passion.

But, you have to use them. Duh. If you have a blog, you have to update it. Not once every six months. Not when you feel like it, but often. Granted, you have to have something of value to say. No one wants to read nonsensical jibberish anymore than they want to listen to it, but the way to build a community of followers is to create and deliver high value content on a regular, consistent basis.

And, this is where I stopped taking my own advice.

In the past month, I have had two craft shows to get ready for, which always seems to result in many late nights despite my best efforts to be organized. My husband and I also finalized the adoption of our adorable little foster child, Justice, on National Adoption Day.



Two days later, we had a huge celebration at our house. Now, I have two more craft shows to get ready for, plus Christmas. My house still isn't decorated, I don't know what I'm serving for Christmas Eve dinner, and I haven't started my shopping yet. And, I haven't blogged in three weeks.

What puts me to shame, though, are all the amazing (and I do mean amazing) blogs of creative entrepreneurs who are moms to many more kids than me, who already have their decorations up, whose kids and homes look like pages out of a magazine, and who post a new craft project everyday and write about it. Check out Jellybean Junkyard, Little Pumpkin Grace, Today's Creative Blog and you'll see what I mean.

So, in the spirit of authenticity, I'm going to start taking my own advice. I'm not going for perfect and I'm not trying to be Supermom. I'm just striving to be consistent. And, that's something I think we can all be better at.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I may not always be able to respond personally, but I read (and take to heart) every one.